North Carolina Executive Roundtable
Guideline for Determining Eligibility for Membership
As Amended at 5/19/2017 Board Meeting
NCER membership is available by invitation only. All candidates must be nominated by a current member and are subject to a membership approval process. Ultimately, our bylaws define the criteria for membership eligibility and the Board of Directors is the authority for the bylaws. The Board has delegated to the Membership Committee full authority for membership approvals. Also, note that current members are not subject to the new member eligibility criteria.
The following checklist is offered as a simple process for determining whether someone is likely to be accepted as a Nominee for membership.
- Does the person possess a broad body of business knowledge personally demonstrated through senior executive leadership roles in a (for profit or not-for-profit) corporate work environment with significant responsibility across areas that are key to their organizations’ sustainability including, but not limited to: organizational culture, strategy, business development, operations, finance (P&L management), human resources, and external relations?
- Is the person currently working or actively pursuing engagement as an executive? (Retired folks are not.)
- Is the person operating at a senior executive level, as evidenced by their possessing at least one of the following attributes?
- The person currently holds or has held positions with titles that include the words “chief” or “president” or “executive” or “officer” or other titles for the highest level positions in their organizations AND the title does not include the words “assistant” or “junior”.
- The person currently holds or has held positions with other executive titles (e.g. business manager, director, etc.) with significant direct management responsibility for at least one of the following:
- At least 25 people.
- An operational budget of at least $1 million.
- Some other critical aspect of an enterprise (e.g. legal compliance, public affairs, and the like), which can be briefly described on the nomination form by the sponsor.
- Has the person been operating in the types of roles described in item 3 above for at least five years?
- Will the addition of this person to the membership of NCER enrich the organization? If so, briefly explain:
- Has the individual acknowledged understanding and agreeing to fulfill the requirements for maintaining ongoing membership?
If the answer to all six questions is yes, the person is deemed to be an acceptable Nominee for membership and shall be moved forward in the consideration process, which includes in-person discussions and/or meeting(s) with one or more members of the Membership Committee. If one or more of the answers are no, then there remains some question as to the Nominee’s qualifications or suitability for membership. In such case, the Sponsor will be invited to present an argument and rationale to the Membership Committee in justification of any further consideration.
The Membership Committee shall render its decision to approve or deny membership to any Nominee through a simple majority vote, with no commentary or explanation being required or offered.